2009/08/07 Campaigns Meeting
End Software Patents campaign
Alongside our submission of the brief, we'll be planning campaign actions to draw attention to the issue and demonstrate that public sentiment is against software patents.
Holmes will get internal wiki page together for more ideas.
- Print t-shirts
- Op-Ed campaign encouraging people to write to their local papers
- Video explaining why software patents are bad (testimonials, presentation of reasons) Do a reel of existing software patents speeches, and/or interviews with people in the field. Talk to von Hippel? Produce something that can be circulated on the legal blogs that will be talking about it.
Our brief is going to use both the economic arguments about how patents hurt software development as well as the free software argument.
- Get GNU/Linux Matters ball rolling.
- Free software adoption -- making sure the arguments for freedom are heard as more and more people are talking about technical adoption.
- Encouraging people to share, in an organized way, the source code for their WordPress plugins or other similar site code. Badge with RDF backing? Work with autonomo.us.
- Working on cooperative language for people from open source and free software who support the ideal of freedom to get behind. User freedom? The idea of control? Appeals to people who might never write a line of code.
- Working with independent bookstores against the Kindle DRM. Petition at the register?
- Kindling starts the fire that burns the books.
- RMS has new draft of SaaS / Network Services policy.
- End of the GNU 25th birthday
- Celebrate SFD by signing up your friend as a member
- GNU birthday card