Manchester Free Software (MFS)
The purpose of Manchester Free Software is to promote the Free Software philosophy.
There are other Free Software related groups in Manchester but MFS is the only one that focuses on the Free Software philosophy. We are not FSF Manchester although we share much of the FSF philosophy.
Anybody is welcome to the meetings, but you will be particularly interested if you are into such things as Free Software Foundation, GNU Project including GNU/Linux, League for Programming Freedom, Free as in freedom BSDs like FreeBSD, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Open Rights Group, Mozilla project, OSS Watch, Hackspace Foundation, mySociety, anti-Digital Restrictions Management, OpenStreetMap, Free Our Data, The Libel Reform Campaign, data.gov.uk, Open Data Manchester, Mozilla Drumbeat.
You can join the mailing list at fsuk-manchester mailing list. This is where we discuss free software issues, events and news.
Group meetings are on the third Tuesday of the month at 19:00. We normally have a talk with questions and then continue discussions informally at a nearby pub. These meetings are currently held at Madlab. Details are in the Group Meetings table and are posted to the fsuk-manchester mailing list beforehand.
In addition to the Group Meetings, MFS organises and helps out with special events in order to promote the Free Software philosophy. If you have an event you would like us help out with, or that we might be interested in, please get in contact with the team at firstname.lastname@example.org. We wish to attend a broad range of events.
- MFS 6th Birthday (and GNU 30th) celebration at the Red Hot World Buffet - 19:00 (for 19:30) until 21:00 - Wed, 13 Nov 2013
- OggCamp2013 - Sat-Sun, 19-20 Oct 2013
- Software Freedom Day (SFD) 2013 in Manchester - Saturday, September 21st, 2013 - http://softwarefreedomday.org/
- Hardware Freedom Day (HFD) 2013 in Manchester - Saturday, April 20th, 2013 - http://hfday.org/
- International Day Against DRM 2012 Manchester - Friday, 4th May 2012 - International Day Against DRM
- Chorlton's Big Green Festival 2012 - Saturday, 31st March 2012 - Chorlton's Big Green Festival
- Manchester Anarchist Bookfair 2011 - Saturday, 3rd December 2011. 10am-4pm - Manchester Anarchist Bookfair site
- Extraordinary Talk: Game On - Game Creation and Distribution with Gluon - Monday, 28th November 2011. 19:00-20:30. - GamingFreedom.org
- FLOSSUK Unconference 2011 - Saturday, 8th October, 2011 - http://www.flossuk.org/Events/Unconference2011 (Note that Manchester Free Software is a Free Software group not a FLOSS group, see Why Open Source misses the point of Free Software)
- Software Freedom Day (SFD) 2011 in Manchester - Saturday, September 17th, 2011 - http://softwarefreedomday.org/
- Chorlton's Big Green Festival 2011 - Saturday, 16th April 2011 - Chorlton's Big Green Festival
- GNOME 3.0 Launch Party - Sunday, 10th April 2011. 14:00-17:00. - GNOME 3.0
- Ucubed - Saturday, 2nd of April 2011. 10:00-17:00. An event to encourage community involvement in Ubuntu and Debian based distributions using the freedom given by free software.
- Ubuntu beginners workshop: the system and the philosophy 11.02 - Saturday, 19th February 2011 - Importantly this will be about the system and the philosophy.
- Manchester Anarchist Bookfair 2010 - Saturday, 2nd October 2010 - Manchester Anarchist Bookfair site
- Software Freedom Day (SFD) 2010 in Manchester - Saturday, September 18th, 2010 - http://softwarefreedomday.org/
- U3 - Ubuntu and Upstream UnWorkshop Day - Saturday, August 28, 2010 from 11:00 AM - 9:00 PM
- Ubuntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" Jam in Manchester - Ubuntu Jams
- Chorlton's Big Green Festival 2010 - Chorlton's Big Green Festival
- Logo Competition - details and entries for our logo competition, 2009.
- Software Freedom Day 2009 in Manchester - plans for our Software Freedom Day 2009 event
- Free The Library 2008 - our planned Software Freedom Day event
- Showcase 08
- Euro Elections 2009 - Manchester Free Software petitions the candidates
Projects that Manchester Free Software is involved in.
Questions that we get asked and the answers are in the FAQ.
You Can Help
Find out what needs to be done to keep the group running.
Contact the MFS Team at email@example.com.
Information for Team members.
Weâ€™re always looking for new speakers. If you have suggestions for speakers, or would like to speak yourself, please go on to the Speakers page for more information.
When publicising meetings or events we inform various online communities.
A general list of places to publicise Manchester Free Software.
A list of materials to use when publicising Manchester Free Software.
Manchester Free Software was formed in response to the growing need for a group based in the Manchester area that focuses on Free Software and GNU/Linux primarily, but also on issues such as Digital Restrictions Management and other issues which infringe on the freedoms of computer users.
What about other groups in the local area?
Manchester has a healthy tradition of groups based on free software technologies, but these groups suffer from a tendency to focus on mixing free software with proprietary software, or even proprietary operating systems, such as Mac OS X. Worse still, many of the groups are suffering from a strong bias against groups like the GNU Project and Free Software Foundation.
We anticipate that this group can happily co-exist with the others. Both the BSD and LUG groups have many members in common, and we hope many of them will want to belong to our group as well.
- Perl User Groups, Manchester
- GNU/Linux User Groups, Manchester
- Free Software User Groups, Manchester
- PHP User Groups, Manchester
- Hurd User Groups, Manchester
- NW Ruby Users Group
See also - Manchester Co-working