Day Against DRM - May 4th, 2011
A big THANK YOU to everyone who participated in the 2011 Day Against DRM. I hope to see you all next year!
The Day Against DRM is an opportunity to unite a wide range of projects, public interest organizations, web sites and individuals in an effort to raise public awareness to the danger of technology that requires users to give-up control of their computers or that restricts access to digital data and media. This year, we'll be helping individuals and groups work together to create local actions in their communities â actions will range from protesting an unfriendly hardware vendor to handing out informative fliers at local public libraries!
How to get Involved Now
- Join this wiki and the DefectiveByDesign group
- Sign-up to the 2011 Day Against DRM mailing list.
This is a section to list action ideas that can be done from anywhere where you have an Internet connection.
- This was a really good idea from last year: tag DRM crippled items on Amazon with defectivebydesign
- Tweet about it
- Blog about it
- Do a live video talk
- Dent about it (http://identi.ca)
This is a section to list action ideas that are going to be regionally specific.
If you're hosting an event, list it here, along with any necessary contact information.
- http://drm-pt.info/moin/DayAgainstDRM :
- Radio show in Portuguese about Day Against DRM 2011, also streamed online.
- Local event in Viseu, with projections and debate.
Here are some links of participating orgs as well as images from the event:
- Mozillabros (Radio programme at ciroma.org)
- Verde Binario (non profit trashware association)
- CiotoFlow (hacking discussion group)
- Hacklab CS (non profit association)
- Pictures from event
Do you have a 2011 Day Against DRM blog post? Then, please add it to the list below!
- 4 Maggio â Giornata contro il DRM (Graziano Sorbaioli, LibrePlanet Italia - Italy)
- Why get Shackled? --Sddhrthr 12:04, 4 April 2011 (EDT)
- DRM and Free Culture
- PCR's notepad - "Day against DRM 2011"
- Cos'Ã¨ il DRM e perchÃ© sono contrario - Italy
- Managing eResources at BPL (Brooklyn Public Library, USA)
- "A day against digital handcuffs" (Arabic, CC-BY-SA licensed)--OsamaK 14:58, 4 May 2011 (EDT)
- "Day Against DRM Today!" on Librarian in Black
- "The International Day Against DRM" (Arabic, CC-BY-SA licensed)--OsamaK 15:13, 4 May 2011 (EDT)
- "Say No to DRM"
- 4 de Mayo dÃa contra el DRM, Shanti Barrios
- DRM (a day against), Creative Commons
- DRM as a competitive threat to free software?, Mike Linksvayer
- Tuesday May 4th, is the Day Against DRM!!!, Alice Ferrazzi LibrePlanet Italia, Italy, Drunk Geisha
- Dradio Wissen: Antifeatures â Funktionen, die wir nicht wollen, Matthias Kirschner of FSFE
Note, there might be a lot of overlap between blog posts and news articles!
- Dreaming of Doomsday for DRM, Katherine Noyes, LinuxInsider
- It's Time to Give Digital [Restrictions] Management the Boot, Katherine Noyes, PCWorld
- "Day against DRM": Aktivisten fordern Offenheit, Christian Kahle, WinFuture
Art and Posters
Here are some black-and-white posters.
If you have a site or a blog, please consider putting one of the banners, below.
Also, see our guide to adding the banners to your site, which include example code snippets for easy cutting and pasting onto your site or blog.
If you have something that doesn't fit into the above categories, please add it here.
This page was a featured resource in March 2011.