LibrePlanet 2014 will be held at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology's Stata Center, at 32 Vassar St, Cambridge, MA 02139.
Where to stay
Prices range from $ (inexpensive) to $$$ (expensive).
These are about five kilometers from the conference venue, but have prices of $50 or less per night.
Other hostels a little farther out can be found at HostelWorld.
- Stay at a cute New England bed and breakfast like the Irving in Harvard Square. ($$)
- The John Jeffries House is another B&B a short ride away on the red line at the Charles MGH stop. ($$)
- Harvard Square Hotel is close to the red line and reasonably priced for a hotel in Harvard Square. ($$$)
- The Charles Hotel in Harvard Square has valet parking. ($$$)
- The Hyatt Regency overlooks the Charles river, providing a view of the Boston skyline. ($$$)
- The Marriott is located at the Kendall/MIT stop with many restaurants located nearby. ($$)
- The historic Kendall Hotel is in the heart of the MIT campus. It was originally an 1800s firehouse. ($$$)
- The Doubletree is over the Charles river in Boston just two kilometers away. A 5 minute ride on the 64 or 70 bus takes you into Central Square. ($$$)
- Also in Boston is the Days Hotel of Boston. The 86 or 70 bus picks up across the street (in front of the Star Market grocery) and takes you to Cambridge and the red line in approximately 10 minutes. ($$)
Arriving in the City
From Logan Airport
Most people travel via these three routes from the airport:
- Cab. Cabs are located all over the city: at the airport and major subway stations.
- Silver Line
- Blue Line
The MBTA website provides a very helpful page on how to navigate via the Silver Line and Blue Line from the airport.
Commuting from the Suburbs
- Commute to North Station for cities north of the city. Take the Green Line to Park Street to reach the office, or to transfer to the North Red Line to connect to MIT.
- Commute to South Station for cities south of the city. The station is situated on the Red Line. You can take the North Red Line to the FSF office and get off at Park Street or Downtown Crossing. You can reach MIT by continuing north and disembarking at Kendall/MIT Station.
If you still need help with travelling, contact Chrissie at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Getting to LibrePlanet and Navigating the Boston/Cambridge Area
The easiest way to get around Boston/Cambridge is to use the MBTA. Passes can be purchased with credit and debit cards in stations and single rides can be purchased on board with cash. The links below can help you to plan your trip to MIT's Stata Center and around town. MIT is located at the Kendall/MIT stop on the red line. The FSF's offices are located near the Downtown Crossing and Park Street T stops.
Getting to LibrePlanet at the Stata Center, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
The Stata Center. Image CC-BY-3.0 Pablo Valerio
- Address: 32 Vassar St, Cambridge, MA 02139
- Closest subway stop: Red line: Kendall/MIT Station
- Directions: When you leave the station, turn west on Main Street (toward Ames street), turn left on Vassar Street, and then turn left.
The Stata Center was famously designed by Frank Gehry; its unique look makes it easy to spot.
Getting to the Free Software Foundation office
The door is unlocked during the day, so you can just come right on inside to the 5th floor. If the door happens to be locked, the intercom outside will connect you to a phone in the office to be let up.
Getting to the Saturday party at Asgard
- Address: 350 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge, MA 02139
- To get to Asgard from the Stata Center, walk west on Vassar and take a right (north) on Massachusetts Ave. for approximately 1/2 mile.
Downtown/Near FSF office
Around Harvard Square
- Metered street parking along JFK Street, Massachusetts Avenue, and Mt. Auburn Street
- University Place Garage: $13 evenings/$9 with local business voucher
Where to Eat
- Emma's Pizza has served up great organic pizza for Cambridge for over 50 years. Vegetarian options.
- For some Mexican soul food, try Beantown Taqueria on Mass Ave. Vegetarian options.
- Clover Food Lab is popular for its organic fast food. There is both a food truck and a restaurant location in Kendall Square. Vegan/Vegetarian options.
- Enjoy all-day brunch at The Friendly Toast. They can also accommodate large groups. Vegan/Vegetarian options.
- Grab a quick burrito at Chipotle. Vegetarian/Vegan options.
- Meadhall is a new American restaurant praised for its beer selection. Vegetarian options.
- Cambridge Brewing Company serves local food and brewed-in-house beer. Vegan/Vegetarian options.
- On the pricier side, enjoy the wine and tapas at Belly Wine Bar, or for something more substantial, try its sister restaurant next door at The Blue Room. Vegetarian options.
- Hungry Mother is a critically-acclaimed Southern farm restaurant.
- Bon Me is loved for their house-made Vietnamese food. Vegan/Vegetarian options. Gluten-free options.
- Veggie Galaxy is a vegan diner that serves breakfast all day. They also have lunch, dinner, and bakery options. They also accept bitcoin! Vegan/Vegetarian.
- Try some Eritrean/Ethiopian food at Asmara! Vegan/Vegetarian options.
- Cocktail lovers enjoy the hidden tiny gem, Brick and Mortar. Vegan/Vegetarian options.
- 1930s-era Green Street is another favorite for cocktail lovers. Vegetarian options.
- Get your nerd on at the burger bar, Miracle of Science. Vegetarian/Vegan options.
- Grab a late night falafel to go at Falafel Palace. Vegetarian/Vegan options.
- The nightclub The Middle East also houses some Middle Eastern and Greek restaurants. Vegan/Vegetarian options.
- Grendel's Den is a favorite restaurant & bar among the local Free Software community. Join us Sunday night at 9pm to partake in their half-priced menu. Vegan/Vegetarian options.
- Veggie Planet is a Vegan/Vegetarian pizza place with live folk music. Vegan/Vegetarian.
- Chau Chow City can accommodate large groups. Their Chinese food proportions are substantial, and their cocktails are fun (some are literally on fire!) Vegetarian options.
- Sam Lagrassa's is famous for its sandwiches. Vegetarian options.