Group: Defective by Design/Day Against DRM 2017
Day Against DRM Web Site (Sunday, July 9th)
The International Day Against DRM is an opportunity to unite a wide range of projects, public interest organizations, web sites and individuals in an effort to raise public awareness to the danger of technology that requires users to give-up control of their computers or that restricts access to digital data and media. This year, we'll be helping individuals and groups work together to create local actions in their communities.
Interested in planning an event? Please join the DRM Elimination crew discussion list. If you're looking for help with the organizing process, don't hesitate to send an email asking if there are others in your area -- the list has people all over the world. Once you've decided to host an event, please add it to this page, along with any necessary contact information. It's good to add it as soon as you have a date and contact info, even if you're still working out the details. Make sure to include the what, where, and when, along with your contact info for potential attendees. For event ideas, see last year's list of events . If you host one, please send photos to email@example.com.
Join the announcements list and tell us where you live so we can let you know about events in your area.
Event in Washington, DC
Washington DC: Screening and Discussion of 'Steal this Film'
Steal this Film is a documentary about copyright -- the underlying legal basis for DRM -- and the activists which have fought to reform it. Though the film does not perfectly match the Free Software Foundation's (FSF) opinion about copyright, we believe it's an excellent basis for discussion about DRM and how to stop it.
You won't need any prior knowledge of DRM or copyright issues to enjoy the movie or the discussion. FSF campaigns manager Zak Rogoff is hosting and would be glad to discuss the Foundation's work beyond anti-DRM activism.
- Time: 6:00 PM, Sunday, July 9
- Location: The Love+Solidarity Collective, 439 Park Road NW Washington, DC, 20010
- 6:00 - 6:30: Introductions, do the anti-DRM actions from DayAgainstDRM.org snacks (provided, but feel free to bring some)
- 6:30 - 8:30: Watch the movie
- 8:30 onward: Discuss
- RSVP's APPRECIATED (to inform snack shopping): <firstname.lastname@example.org>
The Love+Solidarity Collective is a 13-minute walk from the Georgia Avenue/Petworth Metro station on the Green line. Unfortunately, it is not wheelchair-accessible.
Event in Boston, MA
The Boston Day Against DRM event is July 8th. We will meet in front of the Park Street MBTA stop at 11am. Around 11:15am we will fan out around the area to hand out flyers and hold signs in opposition to Digital Rights Management (DRM) software and in support of the right of repair. Please bring your anti-DRM/censorship and pro-Free Software/Right of Repair signs. Once we are done, we will find a place to eat and talk about other events to educate people about DRM. Sponsored with the Massachusetts Pirate Party.
- MEETING TIME: 11:00 AM, Saturday, July 8
- MEETING POINT: Park Street MBTA stop, downtown Boston
- 11:00 AM Meet
- 11:15 AM Flyer
- 12:30 PM Grab lunch and discuss
- CONTACT: email@example.com
- LINK: https://masspirates.org/blog/2017/06/29/july-8th-day-against-drm/
Event in Milan, Italy
We'll celebrate the International Day Against DRM on the 6th of July DRM as FSFE Local Group Milano, also this year together with Game Over Milano association that will host the event at Leoncavallo. The anticipation of the journey is due availability and logistic of the place.
This year we'd like to put the focus on the threat of the DRM in HTML5, explaining with technical sessions what it is and moreover what's the state of the discussion around it, with proposal from FSF and EFF.
There will be an info point next to the Sessions Room with flyers, and then the usual 8-bit Party gently beated by 0r4 and its hacked rockin' Game boy.
- MEETING TIME: 7:30 PM, Thursday, July 6
- MEETING POINT: Game Over Room at Leoncavallo - Milan
- 7:30 PM Sessions/Talks
- 10:00 PM 8-bit Party
- CONTACT: firstname.lastname@example.org
- LINK: https://wiki.fsfe.org/Events/2017/07-06-International-Day-Against-DRM
- POST: We made talks about each topic involved in the DRM threat (web,publishing,music,games..) and we made a brew introduction slide about the state of DRM in HTML5 with opinions from FSF,EFF,W3C File:NoDrmDay2017.odp
Event in Genova, Italy
The local free software movements and supporters will celebrate the International Day Against DRM on the 9th of July with Richard M. Stallman, the historical founder of the free software movement.
- Time: 5:00 PM, Sunday, July 9, 2017
- Location: Sala della Società di Letture e Conversazioni Scientifiche at Palazzo Ducale - Genova
- Link: http://www.softwareliberoliguria.org/conferenza-del-dott-richard-m-stallman-a-genova-il-9-luglio-2017/
- Leaflet: http://www.softwareliberoliguria.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/Locandina_Stallman_A4.pdf
- Contact: email@example.com
This page was a featured resource in July 2017.