Group: Freedom Ladder/Stories
Freedom Ladder stories
Share your free software story.
We believe people's stories about the use cases of free software, and also on how they got into free software, as well as on the difficulties that sometimes need to be overcome, will help us better represent and address the multitude of audiences we want to speak to. It will show that free software really is for everyone, and for everyone there is a step forward.
How did you get into free software? What difficulties did you encounter adopting free software into your life? What successes, no matter how small, made a difference for your software freedom? You are invited to add to, spread and improve this important resource.
Fictional or real life experiences, it will be very helpful in the next phase of the freedom ladder campaign the FSF is developing!
* "X installed a freer OS because she had a graphic card that wasn't supported yet by fully free operating systems. She will try to get a RYF-compliant laptop later on."
* "I got a relative to install LibreOffice and they loved it and told five of their friends who also did it."
* "We refurbished an old computer too slow to run Windows, and installed a GNU/Linux distribution on it, avoiding its hardware obsolescence."
* "X has just started activism and needs a software to publish a politically oriented fanzine and they used the Free Software Directory to help them find programs to be able to do that."
* Llevo mi laptop llena de stickers de la FSF, los cuales han sido un apoyo para motivar a mis familiares en la adopción del software libre, (explicando las ideas de la libertad y dando el ejemplo). Incluso hoy mi hermano ya tiene GNU con linux en su máquina. ¡Todavía quedan pasos por dar en la Escala a la Libertad del software! También me he esforzado en llevar estas ideas a otros, fuera de mi grupo cercano y la experiencia me llevó a hacer mi propio Equipo de [https://libreplanet.org/wiki/LibrePlanet:Teams#South_America LibrePlanet].
* Casey got a used "mini" desktop (HP ProDesk) from a friend, which was decomissioned at his work, and I now use it as my main computer to cut my electricity bill by a lot. I decided to install Manjaro, because it's very performant on lower-spec computers like this one, and also saves me even more electricity. Running Windows 10/11 on this computer wouldn't work that well, but using Manjaro instead works perfectly for both me and my little computer. (submitted 27 December)