- See my personal website for current contact information
- For business inquiries, please visit Le Goût du Libre
Social media / bookmarks:
- diaspora*: https://framasphere.org/u/magicfab
- Mastodon: https://mastodon.social/@magicfab
- Shaarli: https://dulib.re/l (semantic bookmarks aggregator)
Projects I contribute to
- MagicFab @ Debian
- MagicFab @ Trisquel
- MagicFab @ Ubuntu
- MagicFab @ Mozilla
- MagicFab @ OpenStreetMap
- MagicFab @ LibreOffice
FSF member #3877 since 2005
I am a full-time consultant, mostly doing IT freedom/autonomy advocacy & coaching (software , hardware, formats, licenses) in and around Montreal, QC, Canada, focusing on systems administration, training, security and migration from non-free IT. I am always open to any full-time positions or opportunities, specially if they involve using or promoting free technologies.
I am interested in free technologies advocacy (including formats, content, licensing) & training for new users, with an emphasis on security. I am fluent in English, French and Spanish.
Although there is no local FSF chapter in Quebec province or in Canada, FACIL is probably the closest thing we have. I volunteer my time and participate in both organizations (FSF and FACIL).
The Free Technology Definition
I have adapted the Free Software Definition principles to apply them broadly in technology usage:
- The freedom to use the technology, for any purpose (freedom 0).
- The freedom to study how any given technology works, and adapt it to your needs (freedom 1). Access to the source code, schematics, plans or creation / manufacturing instructions are a precondition for this.
- The freedom to redistribute copies so you can help your neighbor (freedom 2).
- The freedom to improve a technology, and release your improvements to the public, so that the whole community benefits (freedom 3). Access to the source code, schematics, plans or creation / manufacturing instructions are a precondition for this.
At the FSF
- As an associate member since 2005, I closely follow FSF activities and try to help in any local events. The most visible may be Software Freedom Day in Montreal where I started organizing conferences, install-fests and other activities.
- I volunteer my time in translation and wiki content maintenance. The first document that caught my attention was the GPLv2 license, which was missing a paragraph in French. Lately I contributed to FDroid, part of the Replicant project for Android devices.
- Within the High Priority projects I used to contribute by testing and using Trisquel until version 7. As a former Ubuntu Systems senior support analyst at Canonical for 4 years I documented my findings, shared best practices and helped other users transition to Trisquel or use Ubuntu and Debian with as much free software as possible, targeting 100%
- Every year I help organize and participate in local activities - our hub for such local events is the Agenda du Libre
- I have a keen interest in free, open media formats, which makes my advocacy work often intersect with the PlayOgg and Defective by Design campaigns. I use archive.org regularly to illustrate transcoding and hosting media formats and often bring attention of local media to the problems introduced when using Flash only. I coordinated a campaign to get Radio-Canada to use free formats on their web site.
- I am a [FACIL ambassador], available to speak at meetings and conferences
- I am a founding member since 2003, President from June 2013 - June 2015
- I participate in the Forums and volunteer at different activism events
- I actively network with other organizations.
- Home lab hypervisor server (Proxmox VE based on Debian GNU/Linux)
- Family / Home office PC (Debian GNU/Linux with GNOME desktop environment)
- HP Compaq 8200 Elite Ultra-slim PC
- Intel Core i5-2400S CPU @ 2.50GHz, 4GB RAM
- OS on RAID 1 250GB Intel SSDs
- Mobile workstation (Debian GNU/Linux stable with GNOME desktop environment)
Lenovo Thinkpad x230 Intel Core i5-3320M CPU laptop with 8GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4000, running Debian since version 7 (see my install notes on ThinkWiki and my hardware report on h-node.org)
- OS on 500 GB Intel SSD
- Backlit keyboard and Thinklight options
- Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6205 [Taylor Peak] [8086:0085] disabled, replaced by ThinkPenguin's Wireless N USB Adapter (TPE-N150USB)
- Lenovo Thinkpad x230 Intel Core i5-3320M CPU laptop with 8GB RAM, Intel HD Graphics 4000, running Debian since version 7 (see my install notes on ThinkWiki and my hardware report on h-node.org)
- Thinkpad X200, X201, X100e
- Acer C720 Chromebook re-flashed with Coreboot (Debian GNU/Linux 9, GNOME desktop)
- Acer C202S Chromebook re-flashed with Coreboot (Debian GNU/Linux 9, Mate desktop)
- Turris Omnia free open source, open hardware router w/mSATA SSD
- Hewlett-Packard OfficeJet Pro 8510 - 100% supported and work out of the box in GNU/Linux with HPLIP
- 2 x DNS-323 NAS (2TB RAID 1), using the Alt-F alternative Free firmware
- Three Silicon Dust HD Homerun network tuners: these provide 4 network continuous streams from off-the-air (OTA) HD TV signals, allowing me to watch & record most TV programs I want. I wrote an article providing some background and details about my free software PVR project.
Phones / Tablets / other
- OnePlus 5 phone with LineageOS
- OnePlus 3 phone with LineageOS
- Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini with LineageOS
- Samsung Galaxy Tabs S2 with LineageOS
Retired / repairing
- Android devices
- OnePlus One
- Google Nexus One
- Google Nexus 7 tablet running Cyanogen's ROM based on Android, without any Google applications (only free software applications from F-Droid)
- Kobo Arc 7 converted to full Android tablet (not CM)
- Nook Color Android 7" tablet running the latest Cyanogen's ROM based on Android, without any Google applications (only free software applications from F-Droid)
- HTC Wildfire S and HTC Panache (AWS phone, aka HTC myTouch 4G) both running Cyanogen's ROM based on Android, using the F-Droid repository of freely licensed apps in addition to some Google apps.
- Thinkpad X130E (sold)
- Thinkpad X131e (AMD chipset) as secondary home laptop (dual boot Windows 7 / Trisquel 7) (sold)
- Thinkpad X131e (Intel chipset) as a family laptop (Debian GNU/Linux stable) (sold)
- Acer C710 Chromebook (with SSD upgrade) converted to GNU/Linux as Debian Gnome demo system (sold)
- Acer Aspire ONE D257-1881 (donated)
- Samsung N120 netbook (home system), with Trisquel 5.5 (defective LCD) (donated)
- HP Pavilion tx1220ca tablet laptop (4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD) - previously my main work laptop, also birefly acted as ProxMox virtualization management server (based on Debian 7) for a software PVR built with Trisquel 6 and TV HeadEnd (donated)
- Neuros OSD open, embedded media center (stored)
- Asus WL-500W 802.11n Multi-Functional Wireless Router (upgraded)
- Linksys WRTGS2 router with DD-WRT (upgraded)
- HP ENVY 4504 e-All-in-One Printer (upgraded)
- BionX electrical bicycle - As an early adopter I had my share of problems mostly due to my infinite ignorance combined with the incompetence and terrible customer service of local dealers. (donated)
Presentations / Events
These are some examples of past presentations and speaking engagements, workshops and other events participation. I am open to present on related subjects in FLOSS or non-FLOSS events. My presentation material is licensed under the Free Documentation license or some variant of Creative Commons licenses, accordingly.
- November 2018 - U. St. Paul, Impact and relevance of Free software for social networks
- October 2018 - SQIL2018, speaker, Le Logiciel Libre au service d'un Numérique Éthique
- October, November 2018 - TechnoCompétences "Rencontres techno" IT career mentorship at high-schools and adult ed. organizations
- August 2017 - Debconf 2017 - Welcome Team organization, advocacy
- October 2016 - February 2017
- Sécurité informatique - course preparation, including documentation for Réseau Alternatives
- September 2016
- Debian InstallFest (Montreal, Canada)
- "State of Debian in 2016" presentation during Software Freedom Day 2016 (Montreal, Canada)
- May 2015-ongoing: "How to control your family PC without spending too much time or money" - Local PC shop workshops (Montreal, Quebec)
- May 2014: "Bitcoin, mythes et réalités" presentation (Club Atomic, Montreal)
- February 2014: "Hacker, un métier ? Hackers white hat vs Hackers black hat" - Elementary school talk (Montreal, Quebec)
- September 2013-March 2014 - Bitcoin workshops (French & English) - Bitcoin Embassy:
- Bitcoin 101: What is Bitcoin, security and privacy best practices, basic wallet setup, bitcoin use cases
- Bitcoin 102: Desktop and mobile wallet security, 2FA, encrypted disk/containers, dark-wallets
- How to get donations in Bitcoin? A technical + accounting workshop introducing online donations for web content producers and NPOs
- July 2013 - Attended "Troubleshooting WordPress" (special workshop @ WordCamp Montreal)
- June 2013 - WordCamp 2013 -Micro sponsor (Le Goût du Libre)
- June 2013 - FACiL presentation (Club Atomic, Montreal)
- May 2013 - OpenStreetMap workshop at Caravan Coop - presenter, workshop helper (Montreal)
- May 2013 - Debian 7 release party, Debian 7 presentations (Montreal)
- April 2013 - Debian 7 presentation (Club Atomic, Montreal)
- April 2013 - Introduction to web content management (private customer)
- March 2013 - OpenStreetMap workshop (Caravan, Montreal)
- July/August 2012 - James M. Stine College (St-Marc, Haiti) - Computer room setup, help desk implementation (OCS Inventory/GLPI), free software training & workshops
- June 2012 - Accessibility Day (Montreal, Canada) - OpenStreetMap participant, observer for on-site survey and possible OSM proposal for extended accessibility attributes
- Apr. 2012 - LibreOffice workshop for a local NPO (Montreal, Canada) - including presentation notes, branded DVD
- Mar. 2012 - LibrePlanet (Boston, USA) - organizer for 5 people to represent LibrePlanet QC at this annual, international event
- Oct. 2011 - LibrePlanet Québec kickoff meeting
- Oct. 2011 - Occupy Montreal, Montreal - on site advocacy and FLOSS demonstrations, advocacy material donations
- Sept. 2011 - Software Freedom Day 2011 - Canadian coordinator, Montreal events organizer, speaker. Round tables, conferences, and workshops
- Jul. 2011 - Fin de semaine du Logiciel Libre 2011, Centre Culturel Simón Bolívar, Montreal - audience participation, InstallFest organizer (2 days)
- Apr. 2011 - Centre St-François d'Assise, Grand Goâve, Haïti, "Les logiciels libres et GNU/Linux, une alternative durable"
- Oct. 2010 - Mile-End Library, Montreal: "Getting started with GNU/Linux and FLOSS", offered monthly starting Jan 2011
- May 2010 - Libuntu, 2-day advocacy event at SupInfo: "FACIL and FLOSS in Quebec", "Why is it important to know about Ubuntu ?"
- Oct. 2008 - [attachment:20081013-Ubuntu-FabianRodriguez-BarCampDelhi.zip Why is Ubuntu important for you ?] (16MB), delivered at BarCamp Delhi
- Ubuntu Developers Summit: Montreal (6.06 LTS, 2005), Seville (7.10, 2007), Texas (10.04 LTS, 2009), Orlando (11.04, 2010)
- 2008 - San Francisco - Speaker: "Discovering the Ubuntu Desktop"
- 2008 - San Salvador - Speaker: "Ubuntu: En pro o en contra del software libre", taller de práctica
- 2008 - Guatemala - Speaker: "El ecosistema Ubuntu: comunidades, empresas, Canonical "
- 2007 - New York (Google HQ) - Speaker: "The Ubuntu support ecosystem"
- 2007 - Seville
- 2008 - Linux World Expo – Ubuntu desktop and Landscape presentations
- Sept. 2007 - Cultures Libres, innovations en réseau, UQAM - "L'écosystème de soutien technique Ubuntu: réussites, expériences" (speaker)
- « Myths and truths of securing a software development environment », presentation at PHPConf 2006
- Summer 2006, « Securing email communications: a challenge everyone can take – and win», Accès Libre magazine
- 2004, Semaine Québécoise de l'Informatique Libre, « Improving security on your computer desktop with Mozilla »
- Oct. 2006 - 33e Congrès annuel et colloque de l'ASTED, "Appropriation des Technologies Émergentes: nouveaux contenus, nouveaux services" (speaker)
- Apr. 2006 – Linux Expo Toronto (sales engineering support for Savoir Faire Linux)
- Apr. 2006 – ARIN XVII – American Internet Registry annual meeting (for ISOC Québec)
- Mar. 2006 – Forum Internet Participatif Internet Society Québec (speaker)
- Nov. 2005 – Ubuntu Below Zero, Ubuntu developpers conference
- 2005, 2006 - PHPConf : "PHP: Pretty Hot Programming: Tips & Tricks to keep coding securely" (speaker)
- Mar. 2005 - Forum ISOC Quebec sur l'Internet participatif - "Les outils de l'Internet participatif: Un petit tour d'horizon" (speaker)
- Oct. 2004 – GTEC 2004, largest canadian hi-tech expo for governement and their suppliers (Ottawa)
- Oct. 2004 – Conference day: « eGovernment: community groups and minorities problematics » (Montréal)
- Sept. 2004 – Semaine Québécoise de l'Informatique Libre « Improving security on your computer desktop with Mozilla » (workshop speaker)
- Aug. 2004 – Conference: “Profession: Entrepreneur; colombian entrepreneurs success stories in Quebec” (organizer)
- Jun. 2004 – First eGovernment Seminar (Québec, QC)
- Jun. 2004 - Centre de Recherche Informatique de Montreal (CRIM) / Linux Québec – Conference: « Residential VoIP »
- 2003 – Conference: « Constellation W3 » - provincial hi-tech « Think Tank »
- Dec. 2003 - Conference « Digital security: It's (no) kid's play » (speaker)
- Oct. 2003 – Provincial Free Software Conference
- May 2003 – CRIM / Linux-Québec – Conference « La sécurité (n'est pas) un jeu d'enfants » (speaker)
- Mar. 2003 – U. Del Valle, ICESI, ACUC, etc. (Colombia) – Training and conferences on security and cryptography
- 2002 – Mercado Multimedia de las Américas, Montreal QC (business development)
- 2001 – eCommerce Gala (finalist, “Security” catégory)
- 2001 – Linux Expo Toronto - « Microsoft ASP applications under GNU/Linux » (speaker)
- 2001 – Provincial OCTAS programming contest (evluation committee)
- 2000 – ISP Con Toronto, Linux Expo Montreal - « Microsoft ASP applications under GNU/Linux » (speaker)
- 1998 – Provincial OCTAS programming contest (finalist)
- 1996 – iNet '96 – « Creating an Internet Presence - Student's extra-curricular IT activities » (speaker)
- 1995 – GTEC 2004, largest canadian hi-tech expo for governement and their suppliers (Ottawa)
- 1986 – CompuExpo (Bogota, Colombia) speaker, invited by Radio Shack Colombia
- 1985 – Microsistemas conference (Cali, Colombia) at age 13 , speaker invited by Apple Cali, Colombia