Group:Free Software Foundation/Ideas
Please post and discuss ideas for the Free Software Foundation.
Please sign your posts by typing four tildes:
Suggestions regarding existing campaigns
- offer them a gnu.org or fsf.org or maybe best a libreplanet.org mail adress. Freedom is not just a word, it's a duty! 11:45, 11 February 2012 (EST)
- offer them a mini-guide bash in paper a sort of 20 page bash survival guide with informations about the usb key card, their mail adress, the existing projects and gnu mailing list. Freedom is not just a word, it's a duty! 11:45, 11 February 2012 (EST)
- offer them a libreplanet sticker just one but a good one Freedom is not just a word, it's a duty! 11:45, 11 February 2012 (EST)
Suggest individuals involved in free software to be features on Meet the Free Software Community:
Defective By Design
Post ideas here: Group:DefectiveByDesign/Ideas
Did you have ideas for the LibrePlanet Project?
(For suggestions about the annual conference, see the #LibrePlanet_Conference section on this page.)
As part of the Working Together for Free Software project, the fsf.org site is being made more intuitive for new visitors.
How does the refocused homepage look?
- We should create a Working Together for Free Software badge that featured projects can display and link back to the campaign --Dpic 15:00, 23 July 2010 (UTC)
- Free Software Supporter read by someone cool (audio and video versions)
- Offer a solution of live video / audio streaming of the conference --Aurélien 9:49 Sat Febuary 9.50 (UTC 2012
- It should be an international event that is also hosted outside the U.S. just like GPLv3 conferences. This can be done in collaboration with other FSF* organizations. In addition, it should be in summer instead of March where many people are able to consider attending. These two issues do matter to many free software advocates who are students.--OsamaK 15:04, 5 August 2010 (UTC)
Proposal: FSF 25th Anniversary
- The Free Software Foundation's birthday is October 4th: Social gatherings? A simple, orchestrated global action? Something? --Dpic 18:29, 8 July 2010 (UTC)
Clothes and bags
- Beach towel with GNU logo -- Michel Van Eeckhout - 19 February 2013
- Tote bag
- laptop / netbook bag --Graziano Sorbaioli - 9 July 2010
- I like this one. I can have one of these.--OsamaK 22:09, 5 August 2010 (UTC)
- Sturdy multi-use plastic bags painted with promo graphics--Rm 19:47, 13 July 2010 (UTC)
- Bags, backpacks, posters and more with all the logos of FSF, EFF, CC GNU, (Canonical), Firefox (Mozilla), VLC, etc... I'd be happy to walk around with a laptop backpack full of those! --Nat90 23:02, 21 August 2010 (UTC)
- knit hat
- embroidered polo with logo on it (I second this idea --Johns 14:37, 13 February 2012 (EST))
03:35, 28 March 2013 (EDT)
- Baby gear
- tie and/or shirt and/or socks for the unfortunate GNU lovers evolving in more corporate environment
- Call them Freedom Socks.
- Cotton T-shirts with messages about freedom plus a GNU reference. They can be serious or funny. E.g.:
- Front: (large text) I am a hacker. (smaller bullet points) I solve interesting problems so you don't have to. I respect the freedom of my users. I defend that freedom with Copyleft. I run GNU/Linux. Back: Free Software Foundation logo Mtraceur 22:44, 16 April 2012 (EDT)
- It's free software and it gives you freedom!
- Che Stallman from openclipart -- Jcubic 03:38, 28 March 2013 (EDT)
- My computer is running software which respects me.
- Call me $WHATEVER, but my computer obeys me.
- Freedom is an important thing. Because of that I use GNU.
- No, I won't use that privative software.
- GNU Emacs User (or) Emacs User
- I second this. (After the Emacs mugs selling out in 24hrs, I think the case is made for the viability of this.) Ciaran 16:51, 11 May 2012 (EDT)
- Dynamic Duo: the GNU and the Penguin in flight t-shirt
- GNU and Freedo 100% Freedom T-Shirt (Made from the image of GNU & Freedo from the FSFLA Linux-libre site)
- Just the GNU head logo. Like the old dark-red on red t-shirts but in slightly more contrasting colours. Ciaran 14:48, 1 August 2012 (EDT)
- Gnu Head tee shirt in white and/or with logo on the back.
- FSFS shirt and LibrePlanet shirt with Happy Hacking coloring (black shirt with bright green lettering) (firstname.lastname@example.org) August 09. 2012
- A quality winter GNU, Libreplanet and FSF cap (bonnet in french) for winter ;-) --AurélienFreedom is not just a word, it's a duty! 12:05, 11 February 2012 (EST)
- Sell quality GNU, libreplanet and FSF baseball caps --Aurélien 19:27, 9 Febuary 2012 (UTC) (in fact suggested on irc ~ 1 or 2 years before :)
- FSF "SWAT" Hat, like EFF's --Dpic 16:38, 26 July 2010 (UTC)
Discussion about the caps (from irc 2012)
So here is mix of discussion from irc #libreplanet with Johnsu01 / Broam / Aurelien / jgay
- Make 3 color of quality, 100% cotton caps with FSF logo and other with GNU letters
- black / white / grey
- make them 100% USA to spread the fsf in USA
example of place which need to verify if they are truly made in America or not:
Libreplanet readers comments:
- I'd wear a cap with the GNU head, but not with G-N-U. A logo is subtle. Letters are too blatant. Too much like advertising. For cap colours, I'd go for browns, greens, greys, maybe blues. Nothing too bright or too contrasty, and not black. Black would be ok for the writing/logo. White is hard to keep clean. Even designs in white age very quickly. A previous employer once made black t-shirts with white trim on the neck and sleeves. They looked very smart at first but after a few months of use, the white turned greyish. Maybe a good way to choose colours would be to take note what colour of caps are worn during the next few free software events. That would tell us what our target audience wants to buy. Next best idea would be a poll. Ciaran 15:04, 3 August 2012 (EDT)
We're going to be printing a new book soon. Please add your ideas and add your vote for any that you think would be good.
- An intro to gnu-autotools for newbies
- Guile 2.* manual
- Hard copy of "GNU Emacs Lisp Reference Manual" seconded #704823
- GNU Bash manual.
- RMS or GNU Bobble Head.
- Free software definition card, like EFF's Bill of Rights card --Dpic 16:38, 26 July 2010 (UTC)
- METAL keychain --Graziano Sorbaioli - 9 July 2010
- laptop / netbook skins --Graziano Sorbaioli - 9 July 2010
- ball pens --Graziano Sorbaioli - 9 July 2010
- mugs --Graziano Sorbaioli - 9 July 2010
- A DVD archive of http://audio-video.gnu.org/ (not just a website mirror, but with some kind of convenient shell for selecting and launching video/audio)--Rm 19:47, 13 July 2010 (UTC)
- Trisquel DVDs (4.0)--Rm 19:47, 13 July 2010 (UTC)
- I think this should be left to the original Trisquel project. Selling DVDs is an important way to fund the project.--OsamaK 22:09, 5 August 2010 (UTC)
- GNU Coins http://osstore.com/coins/GNU-FSF
- Iron-on GNU transfers
- travel mug for coffee
- license plate frames
- GNU-shaped pasta called "emacs & cheese" for hungry freedom lovers
- Branded knife / multitool -- if it's good quality. Debian is doing this: http://wiki.debian.org/Merchandise/SwissKnives
- Emacs button which says - "I am a Saint in the church of Emacs". Here is a sample : SaintButton
- Emacs reference card mug
- Emacs reference card poster
- Stuffed animal of Freedo, the Linux-libre mascot
- Flash drives of the GNU head with the FSF logo on the back & Freedo with the FSFLA Logo on the back. The Linux Foundation has something similar with Tux: Tux Flash Drive
- A GNU Maintainer Bundle (Bazaar, Texinfo, Guile manuals)
- Pocket protectors Gnu 4 Jan 2013
- Stickers and more with all the logos of FSF, EFF, Firefox (Mozilla), VLC, etc...
- Either GNU/Hurd or GNU OS stickers (similar in scope to the GNU/Linux sticker)
- Stickers, bumper stickers, patches or keychains featuring the copyleft & Creative Commons meme MooGNU: https://archive.org/details/M00GNU
- Sticker of Freedo, the Linux-libre mascot
- Sticker that says: "Linux-libre Inside"
- Sticker of GNU and Freedo 100% Freedom (Made from the image of GNU & Freedo from the FSFLA Linux-libre site)
- Sticker of the Breaking Windows Art
- More anti-Microsoft stickers
About how the store works
- Commit to Worker-Owned cooperatives! Dpic 18:19, 27 June 2012 (EDT)
- Accept Google Checkout --Dpic 16:38, 26 July 2010 (UTC)
Suggestions yet to be sorted
- Offer a gnu.org Host to all Free Software / Distro type of project --Aurélien 9:44, 11 Febuary 2012 (UTC)