- 1 Reference at LinuxLibre log
- 2 What is the purpose of the device?
- 3 Who needs it?
- 4 How critical it is to get free support for it?
- 5 What is(are) the processor architecture(s) of this device?
- 6 Who is working on a free firmware implementation?
- 7 Links to online documentation
- 8 Where are the non-free firmware images made available?
- 9 What makes them non-free?
- 10 What else do we know about this device?
Reference at LinuxLibre log
USB_DABUSB - DABUSB driver firmware/dabusb/bitstream.bin.ihex: removed blobs firmware/Makefile: dropped firmware/dabusb/bitstream.bin firmware/dabusb/firmware.HEX: removed blobs firmware/Makefile: dropped firmware/dabusb/firmware.fw drivers/media/video/dabusb.c: disabled non-Free firmware-loading machinery drivers/media/video/dabusb.c: removed blobs
What is the purpose of the device?
Digital radio receiver.
Who needs it?
(which computer models use this device or which niche users usually buy such peripherals?)
It was sold by Terratec as a product called "DR Box 1".
How critical it is to get free support for it?
(Is it a very popular device that requires us to prioritize efforts?)
What is(are) the processor architecture(s) of this device?
- Xilinx SpartanXL FPGA model 10xlvq100
- intel 8051 processor: AN2131 (EZUSB)
Who is working on a free firmware implementation?
Felipe Sanches <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Links to online documentation
- EZUSB info
- official documentation on the EZUSB (8051+USB) microcontroller
- Datasheet of the Xilinx SpartanXL FPGA family
- Product webpage
- more details
Where are the non-free firmware images made available?
What makes them non-free?
(describe clearly the specific reasons for it being considered non-free)
- Firmware source code (8051) and HDL files (for FPGA programming) are not available.
What else do we know about this device?
(any further info that might help the creation of free firmware for it)
At least the binary firmware for the 8051 is released in terms that allow derivative works, so we are legally allowed to disassemble it and derive source code from it.