GPG guide/Repository and Publishing
Checkout Out Project for editing/translating
To do this, you'll need to have the FSF tech team give you access. See the instructions at https://libreplanet.org/wiki/GPG_guide/Translation_Guide. If you want to download the repository but do not intend to directly edit the master copy, see the instructions below.
The repository can be checked out via the following command:
git clone email@example.com:enc.git. After checking out, make sure you are on the master branch of the repository.
The static submodule
The 'static' directory is now a part of the main repo itself, rather than a separate repo. This helps with the portability of the site, so it can be run anywhere, without reliance upon a shared (or unshared) resource at static.fsf.org.
To remove the old Git submodule, you'll need to run the following in your enc/ directory:
git submodule deinit static git pull rm -rf .git/modules/static/
Checking out the project for read-only access
You may want to do this if you plan to create diffs and send them to the FSF as suggested edits, rather than editing directly. You do not need permission for this.
git clone https://vcs.fsf.org/git/enc.git/
The repository has the following hooks:
** When master is pushed to, http://enc-dev0.fsf.org is updated.
vcs.fsf.org:enc-static.git (previously a submodule of the vcs.fsf.org:enc.git, it was found in the static/ directory of its parent repository). When master is pushed to, http://static.fsf.org/nosvn/enc/enc-dev0
Pushing to the Live Instance
NOTE: Access to the live site is restricted, access is given on an as needed basis. Anyone can watch commits to it on the Web at https://vcs.fsf.org/?p=enc-live.git
Due to some poor design decisions (made by Zak) early on in this project, a clean, git-only workflow isn't possible for publishing right now. Instead, to publish:
- Check out the dev repo (enc) *and* the live repo (enc-live) on the same computer. If you already have them, make sure they are both up to date.
- Manually copy the directories for the languages you want to publish from the dev to the live site, but don't push yet
- Test the new or modified pages on your own computer. To do this, you'll need to set up a local server. See the instructions at https://libreplanet.org/wiki/GPG_guide/Setting_Up_Your_Local_Development_Environment. Make sure the local server is serving your checked out copy of the live site, not the dev site.
- Push your updated live repo.
This is the more "correct" method, which you should not use right now, but which will again be appropriate some day.
- Add the following remote repository:
git remote add live firstname.lastname@example.org:enc-live.git
- When you are ready to push to the live site, use:
git push live master
- Your changes will be then pushed to http://emailselfdefense.fsf.org