Group: Guix/Suggested Distro Names
The following are names suggested for the distribution of GNU that uses GNU Guix as a package mananger and GNU DmD as an init-system, amongst other GNU maintained/developed technologies. RMS has expressed concern about calling such a system "The GNU Operating System" and too possibly just "GNU Distro", really endorsing any distribution of GNU, over any other 3rd-party attempt to create and maintain a variant thereof. These are possible solutions, to this naming scheme.
Listed, in aproximate order from when they were mentioned:
- Jinn - "Jinn is not Nix(OS)"
- Guixotic - Combines Guix with the word exotic.
- Guixotic/Guixote - In reference to the charecter Don Quixote, we are fighting the giants of proprietary software. Also Quixotic means "exceedingly idealistic; unrealistic and impractical" which might be a nice little jab at ourselves.
- Germ or Gemmate - A a collection of packages.
- Gig - "Guix is Guix."
- GNU Jitsu - A play on Ju Jitsu. "Jū" can be translated to mean "gentle, soft, supple, flexible, pliable, or yielding." & "Jitsu" can be translated to mean "art" or "technique".
- GNU Wave - A play on new wave, which is a paradigm shift in pop/rock music that occured up until the 70s to mid 80s, which was the timespan that was the lead up, to the start of the GNU Project.
- GuixOS - Takes NixOS's naming scheme.
- GNU DAWN - "Distro AWaitng A Name."
- GNUDist or GNUD - A direct nod/reference to it being a GNU Distro, that happens to be a portmanteau arranged in such a way -- that it somewhat humorously happens to sound like "nudist" or "nude" respecitevly. Which kinda fits, showing how exposed we try to make all our source.
- GNURO - Takes the ro, from distro and throws it on GNU. Kinda sounds like neuro and can can be tied too being brainy and/or the general "geek" motif guix has.
- GNU Guix GNU, or GGG for its friends - A direct equivalence to "Debian GNU/Linux"; the GNU system as provided by GNU Guix, instead of the GNU/Linux system as provided by Debian
- Wildebeest - Just another name for GNU.
- GNUKE - "It's the Bomb!"
- Geist - a reference to SICP and the "spirits" that live in the computer (ie: processes).
- GNX (a little too close to the name of German freemailer GMX)
- GNU Software Distribution (or GNU System Distribution, or GSD), can also be used as a tag line ("A GNU System Distribution")
- OneGSD - One GNU System Distribution, also the first GSD to describe itself as a GSD
- GLEE - GuiLe Enchanced Environment. "Compute with GLEE!"