Group: LibrePlanet Washington
The LibrePlanet Washington Team is a group of volunteers and activists organized around furthering the ideals of free software and related issues concerning digital rights as necessary means for a free society. We operate in accordance with the LibrePlanet Mission Statement and Code of Conduct.
This group is working towards a free society through free software, but we are not just a GNU+Linux User Group. We may promote any software that respects the freedom of its users. We recognize that some people choose to make compromises, temporary or otherwise, with proprietary software, and some who may not always say GNU+Linux, or "free software" instead of "open source", and we welcome those people to join us and discuss their thoughts, but as a LibrePlanet team, we frame terms accordingly. We are open to people of all levels of interest in free software and welcome new participants. We are all united in the fight for software freedom as an important and necessary means for the prospect of a free society.
The vision for this group is one in which we can meet about free software, both online with IRC, and occasionally face to face. Washington is a state that has many information technology professionals. Hopefully this group can help us all learn from each other and advance the fields of software engineering, system administration, and other types of engineering, all with free software.
- Inform the public about free software
- Promote free software tools through projects, campaigns, and events
- Provide materials and increase the availability of free software
- Offer local help getting and using free software
- Bridge connections between free software activists and users
To become a member of the LibrePlanet Washington Chapter, please
- Join our team by modifying this page to include your username or by adding the Template:Profile_Page to your user page, and inserting Groups=LibrePlanet_Washington to it.
- We have semi-regular Software Freedom dinners in Seattle, WA on the third Saturday of each month.
When? Contact the list about the date for the next one; it varies a lot. Meetings are always at 5pm.
Where? The Elysian Brewing Company at 1221 E Pike St on Capitol Hill
What? Join the mailing list to suggest activities!
- Currently the best way to reach us is by posting to the LibrePlanet Washington mailing list. A couple people also hang out in the #libreplanet-wa IRC channel on Freenode.
|Note||WA group for Free Software Users and Activists|
|Area||United States of America|