Introducing Free Software
One thing I feel is extremely important for the Free Software Foundation to get up and running is a website that explains the importance of Free Software to people who are new to free software. The website should illustrates very clearly the importance of free software, with a few initial SHORT arguments. It should have only the most important topics written in non-technical language.
- What are the most important KEY topics?
- The 'Free Speech, not Free Beer' concept.
- The 4 freedoms that all users should have, as specified in the GPL.
- Create a group of free software angels (free software members which are able and want to help new members) (I have personnal been introduce by some people which help me a lot Graziano Sorbaioli Sam Geeraerts karl goetz Nicolas Reynolds --Aurélien AurélienFreedom is not just a word, it's a duty! 12:36, 11 February 2012 (EST)
- Perhaps compile a list of the five most asked questions when people are new to free software.
-Why should I care? -How do people make money? -What does free software do that my (Mac, Windows, whatever) doesn't do?
- I feel we need example for many of our explanations
- Videos would be great
- The site needs to be pretty and NOT messy
A couple of really nice sites which have similar aims are software liberty and get gnu linux
Ways to explain why free software matters:
From SFD GNOME post: Software Freedom is about a technology future that we can trust, that is sustainable, and that supports basic human freedoms. Untrusted electoral systems can lead to civil unrest and a lack of trust in governing bodies. Proprietary data formats can mean lockout to accessing our own information! Software Freedom can be maintained by transparent systems that are based on open, secure and sustainable standards including data formats and communication protocols.
This page was a featured resource in January 2021.