Group: Defective by Design/Day Against DRM 2012
The Day Against DRM is an opportunity to unite a wide range of projects, public interest organizations, web sites and individuals in an effort to raise public awareness to the danger of technology that requires users to give-up control of their computers or that restricts access to digital data and media. This year, we'll be helping individuals and groups work together to create local actions in their communities — actions will range from protesting an unfriendly hardware vendor to handing out informative fliers at local public libraries!
- 1 How to get Involved Now
- 2 Action Ideas
- 3 Events
- 4 News articles and blog posts
- 5 Banners and Posters
- 6 What happened?
How to get Involved Now
- Join this wiki and the DefectiveByDesign group
Help us spread the word!
- Pledge to take action on May 4th and encourage others to do the same.
- Put up a banner or widget for Day Against DRM (or make your own!)
- Share a link to the DayAgainstDRM.org page on your social networks
This is a section to list action ideas that can be done from anywhere where you have an Internet connection.
- This was a really good idea from previous years: tag DRM crippled items on Amazon with defectivebydesign
- Tweet about it
- Blog about it
- Do a live video talk
- Dent about it (http://identi.ca)
If you're hosting an event, list it here, along with any necessary contact information.
The DbD campaign can send a message advertising your event to supporters in the area. Just send them the exact text that needs to go out -- make sure to include the what, where, and when, along with your contact info for potential attendees.
- Roma -- an event is planned from Pirate Party Italy @c.s.o.a. SansPapiers in Roma. email@example.com NoDRM Partito Pirata Italy @SansPapiers
- Capranica (VT)/Lazio/ --- an event planned from hackers space italy @Canaja,
Paolo Del Bene's plot land of 3210 meters "Paolo Del Bene" [firstname.lastname@example.org] [Internatrional Day Against D.R.M. == http://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm]
- Torino -- Guri and Hipatia planned an event to sensitize the people of Turin and to help the Italian Pirate Party to spread the word against DRM. Most of the activity will be done in front of schools and universities.
Contact us at <guri AT hipatia.net> if you'd like to join. No DRM - Guri and Hipatia
- Nagoya -- Details to follow. See http://www.flosss.info/dayagainstdrm2012 and http://identi.ca/group/flosss
- Stavanger -- Details to follow.
- Folks from ANSOL.org's DRM-PT are organizing some ultra-secret stuff to celebrate the date in Portugal, like we do every year. If you're interested in collaborating contact us by sending an e-mailto:email@example.com .
- Madrid -- contra los libros electrónicos injustos. Los libros electrónicos deben respetar las libertades del lector. No a las esposas digitales, a los contratos restrictivos, a la vigilancia. Vamos a repartir folletos a las 16:30 el viérnes 4 de mayo en calle Preciados 25, Madrid, frente a las grandes librerías. Por favor ven y participa. Imprime 50 copias de http://stallman.org/ebooks.es.pdf si puedes.
- Manchester -- We are meeting at Madlab at 7pm *sharp* (so don't be late) on Friday, May 4th, 2012. We will have a brief overview of DRM and then we will go out around Manchester campaigning until about 9pm. Then to the pub for discussion. firstname.lastname@example.org
United States of America
- San Francisco -- This is a planned event involving a Barnes and Noble, some posters, as well as the usual stickers, buttons, and flyers.Contact Mark for more information as it comes.
- Orlando -- University of Central Florida - Hosted by the Students for Free Culture @ University of Central Florida. We will be tabling and answering questions to raise awareness about the dangers of DRM. This will be held at the UCF Student Union. If you're interested in joining the event, please contact us.
- Tampa -- University of South Florida - Hosted by the local student branch of the IEEE Computer Society. This is a tentative event. If you're interested in joining or sponsoring our event, please contact us.
- Boston -- Join FSF staff and supporters at an event in Boston. Details to come. email@example.com
- Amherst -- Join activists from the Pioneer Valley area and students from the 5 colleges for socializing and strategizing against DRM -- firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cincinnati -- Hive13 Hackerspace: Hosting with Cinci2600 and giving demos on DRM ebook removal. Details here: http://www.hive13.org/?p=695
News articles and blog posts
Add links to blog posts people write on the Day — see some from last year.
- Andrew R. - Day Against DRM 2012
- manurevah - Day Against DRM - 2012
- 50% DRM-free ebook at Angry Robot books
- Join us in celebrating International Day Against DRM by Joe Wikert at O'Reilly
- DRM-Free Day, forever. by Mike Hendrickson at O'Reilly
- DRM And Free Expression
- Supporting the Free Software Foundation's Day Against DRM by Dan Kusnetzky at ZDNet
- Happy Day Against DRM! by Cory Doctorow at BoingBoing
- The Pirate Bay’s traffic increases by 12 million following UK ban by Henry Winchester at PCGamer.com
Banners and Posters
Are you creating some posters or banners for your event?
- Banners, Poster, and Widget from DefectiveByDesign.org — posters are licensed CC BY SA 3.0 unported.
- Please list experiences and photos here. Links are welcome.
This page was a featured resource in April 2012.