Group: Defective by Design/Day Against DRM 2015
Day Against DRM 2015 Web Site
The Day Against DRM is an opportunity to unite a wide range of projects, public interest organizations, web sites and individuals in an effort to raise public awareness to the danger of technology that requires users to give-up control of their computers or that restricts access to digital data and media. This year, we'll be helping individuals and groups work together to create local actions in their communities — actions will range from protesting an unfriendly hardware vendor to handing out informative fliers at local public libraries!
If you're hosting an event, please list it here, along with any necessary contact information. It's good to add it as soon as you have a date and contact info, even if you're still working out the details. The DbD campaign would be glad send a message advertising your event to supporters in your area. Just email the exact text of the message to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure to include the what, where, and when, along with your contact info for potential attendees.
Here are some ideas for events. If you host one, please send photos to email@example.com:
News articles and blog posts
Do you have a 2015 Day Against DRM blog post or news story? Then, please add it to the list below — see some from last year.
- A restriction on technological restrictions: a joint letter: The right to install other software on your computing devices -- Free Software Foundation Europe
- (French with English and French subtitles) Un livre électronique verrouillé par un DRM ne peut être comparé à un livre imprimé (vidéo) -- April.org:
- Living with digital restrictions -- Daniel Aleksandersen
- The right to install other software on your computing devices -- Chaos Computer Club
- “Change the label on ‘Purchase’ buttons” -- Daniel Aleksandersen
- Phase Out DRM and the Legal Regimes That Support It: International Day Against DRM -- Electronic Frontier Foundation
- Make the Day Against DRM a Day for Freedom -- Mike Linksvayer
- Happy Day Against DRM -- Teleread
- Designing enclosure? An open letter to Apple -- openDemocracy
- Day Against DRM 2015 Campaign -- Virtually Mike Brown
- International Day Against DRM -- Paul Boddy, Free Software Foundation Europe fellow
- An open letter to Mozilla regarding EME -- Free Software Melbourne
- Day Against DRM 2015 -- Green Comet
- Promote a Libre Movie during the International Day against DRM… and after! -- Studio Girin
- Das Recht, andere Software auf seinem Computer zu installieren -- Chaos Computer Club
- Eine Einschränkung von technischen Einschränkungen -- DigitalCourage
- Un giorno contro il DRM -- Simone Aliprandi
Join the International Day Against DRM announcements list and tell us where you live so we can let you know about events in your area.
Dhaka : Copyright vs Community
Join us to celebrate free software with a casual jam session, DRM-free flyers and road march at Daffodil International University.
- WHEN: 11:00 - 13:00 on Wednesday, May 6th
- WHERE: Daffodil International University, 102 Mirpur Road, Dhanmondi, Dhaka, Bangladesh
- MEETING POINT: Large lounge at the ground floor of the AB Building of Daffodil International University.
- CONTACT: Ring <firstname.lastname@example.org> and FOSS Bangladesh PR <email@example.com>
As you know FOSS Bangladesh is a voluntary, non-profit organization directly promoting and supporting Software and Hardware Freedom and User Rights knowledges here in Bangladesh since 2011. From 2013 we supported the cause to Day Against DRM raised by FSF. And with FSF campaigns we also joined with the global community with our Human tieup on Road here in Bangladesh. We found DRM or Digital Rights Management is going very wrong by the corporations and IT giants, used as DRM or Digital Restrictions Mangement, hurshly implant to ensure disrepecfully denying the rights of mass people as to make a great monopoly. And to leakout such conspiracy doings we stand out on the road at the keypoint of University of Dhaka and tried to get noticed by the next generation leaders of Bangladesh the pupils of University of Dhaka as they should be aware of these type of evil doings and it's cruel effects in the IT world. In 2015 we found this day much more important and we are going to meet up some of our writers, poets, novelists, artists, university students and teachers together in our event here in Dhaka and try to make them be informed about DRM or Digital Restrictions Mangement and Copyleft. Focusing how copyleft could be the best protection for Intellectual Properties without DRM or Digital Restrictions Mangement as regarding Bangladesh. And our regular tieup in front of a drm supporting organization also continued. For event pics plz have this link -- 
Watching Cory Doctorow's "The coming war on general computation", and possibly other talks. Followed by DRM-related discussion.
- WHEN: 18:00 - 22:00 (or whenever we end), Wednesday, May 6th
- WHERE: SkullSpace Winnipeg, 374 Donald St, Winnipeg, MB R3B 2J2, Canada
Birmingham, West Midlands
Please join us at the Impact Hub Birmingham from 3.30pm on Wednesday 6th May to find out more about Digital Rights Management, the adverse impact it is having on innovation and what action citizens of Birmingham can take together to overcome its restrictions.
- WHEN: 1530 - 1630 on Wednesday 6th May
- WHERE: Impact Hub Birmingham, Walker Building, 58 Oxford Street, Digbeth, Birmingham, B5 5NR
- MEETING POINT: RECEPTION
- CONTACT: Francis Clarke, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, Twitter: @francisclarke mobile: 07749374339,
Ham, Southwest London
Come and join us we will be figureing out how to do e-books from markdown text. 
- WHEN 2015-05-06 18:40hrs
- WHERE Little House, Ham Close (more details in our website)
Guatemala City: Free Society
Join us to celebrate free software with a casual jam session and DRM-free flyering at San Carlos University.
- WHEN: 3:00pm - 6:00pm on Wednesday, May 6th
- WHERE: Z.12 San Carlos University, Guatemala City, Guatemala
- MEETING POINT: Plaza de los Mártires
- CONTACT: Josue <email@example.com>
Mozillabros and CiotoFlow hacking group will try to repeat the event of 2011 at University of the Calabria, with open music and Embedded devices OpenWRT powered sharing music.
- WHEN: May 6th 2015, 18:00
- WHERE: Aula Occupata P2 at Università della Calabria, Dipartimento di Ingegneria, Cosenza
- CONTACT: Marco Oliverio <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Milan: 8-bit Music Party
Mozillabros and Game Over Milano organize an 8-bit music party celebrating the International Day Against DRM in Milan, at Leoncavallo.
- WHEN: Thursday, May 7th 2015, 20:00
- WHERE: Leoncavallo, Milan
- CONTACT: Natale Vinto <email@example.com>
- MORE INFO: Event link
Casual conversations and arguments against DRM with Rijk. Come join me for a chat and let me know what you think about DRM.
- WHEN: May 6th 2015, 15:00 - 17:00
- WHERE: seats2meet at De Nieuwe Bibliotheek Almere Stad: https://www.seats2meet.com/nl/locations/593/denieuwebibliotheek
- CONTACT: Rijk Ravestein <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Águeda: Event about Copyright
Once again ANSOL (Portuguese Association for Free Software) celebrates the Day Against DRM, this time by organizing an afternoon of talks and even some hands-on experiences about copyright, including a talk specifically about DRM.
- WHEN: Saturday afternoon, May 9th
- WHERE: Águeda Living Lab
- MORE INFO: https://ansol.org/node/264
Casual conversations and beer against DRM with Marco. Come join me for a chat and let me know what you think about DRM.
- WHEN: May 6th 2015, 19:00 - 21:00
- WHERE: Hospoda, the famous Czech Microbrewery in Singapore: 180 Albert Street (Albert Court) #01-19, Registration
- CONTACT: Marco Huggenberger <email@example.com>
Boston: DRM Conversations, Food and Drinks
We'll distribute information about DRM to customers in front of an Apple store packed with DRM-encumbered media, then go for food and drinks at a near by Middle Eastern/American restaurant called Jaffa. Our goal is to use engaging materials get people thinking about the realities of DRM and excited about DRM-free media. Come to do whatever is best for your comfort level - you can hand out info, or take it to the next level and strike up friendly conversations with passersby. We'll be at the store for 45 minutes to an hour, then go around the corner to Jaffa. If you can only come for the flyering, or only come for Jaffa, you are still more than welcome. Please RSVP.
- WHEN: Meet at 6:15
- WHERE: Back Bay Apple Store at 815 Boylston Street, a few blocks from the Copley T Station
- PLAN: Flyer 6:30 - 7:15/7:30, Jaffa 7:30 - 8:30/9:30 (Jaffa is at 48 Gloucester Street Boston, MA 02115)
- PLEASE RSVP: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
A brave anti-DRM activist handed out flyers by himself on the campus of University of Illinois at Chicago, and had some great conversations.
Help us protest the use of DRM and help educate the public about its dangers. We will be handing out stickers and flyers. If you have some anti-DRM related gear e.g. please wear it to the event.
- WHEN: 12:00 - 2:00 on Wendnesday, May 6
- WHERE: Red Square on the University of Washington Campus, Seattle
New York City Rally Against Digital Restrictions Management
In 2015 most "personal computers" are hand held and have a wireless connection to the telephone service. Such devices are called "smart phones". Almost all of them are *not* owned by the people who carry them. Rather they are controlled by Apple, or Google, or Microsoft, and their partners. There are several excuses offered by Apple et al for keeping control of these devices. The supposed necessity of DRM to suppress copyright infringement is one big excuse. At the New York City Day Against DRM on Wednesday 6 May 2015 we will examine the present situation, and discuss what can be done to keep our right to own a computer and what can be done to keep our Net free. Richard Stallman may be attending the event.
- WHEN: 1600 hours Wednesday 6 May 2015
- WHERE: Apple Glass Cube on Fifth Avenue between 58th and 59th Streets on the Island of the Manahattoes
- CONTACT: Jay Sulzberger <email@example.com>
We will distribute flyers about DRM in front of the largest mall in Greece and later we will go for food and drinks.
- WHEN: May 6th 2015, 19:00 - 22:00
- WHERE: The Mall, Marousi
- PLAN: Flyer 19:00 - 20:00, Food and drinks 20:00 - 22:00
- CONTACT: vasper <firstname.lastname@example.org>
This page was a featured resource in April 2015.