Group: Defective by Design/Day Against DRM 2014
The Day Against DRM is an opportunity to unite a wide range of projects, public interest organizations, web sites and individuals in an effort to raise public awareness to the danger of technology that requires users to give-up control of their computers or that restricts access to digital data and media. This year, we'll be helping individuals and groups work together to create local actions in their communities — actions will range from protesting an unfriendly hardware vendor to handing out informative fliers at local public libraries!
If you're hosting an event, please list it here, along with any necessary contact information. It's good to add it as soon as you have a date and contact info, even if you're still working out the details. The DbD campaign would be glad send a message advertising your event to supporters in your area. Just email the exact text of the message to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure to include the what, where, and when, along with your contact info for potential attendees.
Here are some ideas for events. If you host one, please send photos to email@example.com:
- DRM-free music/movies/games party. Challenge yourself to make it so that none of the media at the event has DRM. If possible, host a concert by a band that releases DRM-free music. You can refer to our Guide to DRM-free living at https://www.defectivebydesign.org/guide
- Hold signs or hand out copies of DRM-free media and flyers about the issues with DRM (FOSS Bangladesh did this in 2013). You can refer to our DRM FAQ at https://www.defectivebydesign.org/faq
- Host a house party/discussion group
- Protest a local store that sells DRM-encumbered products (community members did this in Seattle in 2013)
- Write a letter to the editor of a publication
- Speak to a local group or get on a radio/TV show
News articles and blog posts
Do you have a 2014 Day Against DRM blog post? Then, please add it to the list below — see some from last year.
- Commons Machinery
- 8-bit rocket.com
- Day Against DRM 2014
- International Day Against DRM
- HAPPY INTERNATIONAL DAY AGAINST DRM!
- International Day Against DRM – May 6th by Ayori S. for Blacks in Technology
- Day Against DRM: Why Librarians Should Just Say No
- Electronic Frontier Foundation video teach in
- Internationaler Tag gegen DRM lockt mit Sonderangeboten (German)
- FSFE: »Stoppt DRM in HTML5« (German)
- How DRM Us All Less Safe
- Whatever Happened to the W3C?
- Mark the Day Against DRM with discounts on books and videos; join the EFF live video panel
- Celebrate Day Against DRM
- Public Knowledge Participates in the International Day Against DRM by Sean Meloy
- O'Reilly Knocks 50% Off All eBooks And Videos In Honor Of Day Against DRM by Cody Toombs for Android Police
- International Day Against DRM by Shaina McAndrews for Narcissus
- International Day Against DRM: It's Time to Fix U.S. Copyright Law by Parker Higgins for the EFF
- How DRM Harms Our Computer Security by April Glaser and Corynne McSherry for the EFF
- Let Your E Go Free: Day Against DRM by Gretchen Giles for Make Magazine
- Amazon Started the Day Against DRM Festivities a Week Early by Intentionally Breaking My Kindle eBooks by Nate Hoffelder of The Digital Reader
- Acceptera inte DRM! [Swedish] by Martin Persson, published in the blog of the Swedish progressive librarianship society BiS
- IDAD 2014 Experiment Results by David McMackins, published on his blog.
Join the International Day Against DRM announcements list and tell us where you live so we can let you know about events in your area.
- Swecha (Free Software Movement of India) : Fighting #DayAgainstDRM Swecha, being an allie of Free Software Movement of India is planning an event to spread awareness on DRM thruogh open discussion.
for more details : Join us in the Facebook Event Page
- Daffodil International University: Open Session and Human ties against DRM FOSS Bangladesh with Daffodil International University Software Engineering Dept. is planning to arrange an open discussion session/seminar on the 6th May, 2014 from 10:30 to 12:30 with some poet, writer, novelist, publisher, computer and mobile programmer, University Students and Teachers here in Dhaka to notify them about DRM and its evil effects. We are also suspending our website (www.fossbd.org) with an image banner focusing the Day Against DRM-2014 and DRM's cruel effects on IT world, activated from 1st May, 2014 till 6th May Midnight (BST). And continue our last year human ties event right on the open street also for mass people acknowledgement. Detailed event plan on G+ event page. For more connect FOSS Bangladesh public relation secretary on contact[AT]fossbd[DOT]org and general secretary on toshazed[AT]gmail[DOT]com
After May 6th
- The Massachusetts Pirate Party's 4th Birthday/Fundraiser event will include a talk about DRM for the Day. It's taking place in Friday May 9th, from 7-11pm at the Democracy Center in Cambridge. More info here
- LibrePlanet Boston: Where to find DRM-free entertainment?, May 7 at 6:30. Joshua Gay, Licensing & Compliance Manager of the FSF, will speak about the history and future of the DefectiveByDesign campaign, including the victories and progress we've had at eliminating DRM as a movement and the threats and pportunities we have at hand today. After Joshua's talk, there will be a demo and discussion on Fotoxx and the wonderful free software for organizing and enhancing photos. Join us at 6:30pm at Akamai: 8 Cambridge Center, Cambridge, MA. Email willrico[AT]gmail[DOT]com for more information.
On May 6th
- DRM Conversations, Food and Drinks in Boston:
We'll distribute information about DRM to customers in front of a Boston Best Buy, then go for food and drinks at Cornwall's . Our goal is to use engaging materials get people thinking about the realities of DRM and excited about DRM-free media. Come to do whatever is best for your comfort level - you can hand out info, or take it to the next level and strike up friendly conversations with passersby. We'll be at the Best Buy for about 30 minutes.
WHEN: 6:45 PM on Tuesday, May 6th
WHERE: Sidewalk in front of Whole Foods at the St. Mary's T stop on the C Branch of the Green Line, just past Kenmore The address is 1028 Beacon Street, Boston, 02446
CONTACT: Zak Rogoff - (202) 489-6887 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Please RSVP to email@example.com if you'd like to come.
After meeting at the Whole Foods near the T station, we'll do a little training to maximize our effectiveness, then walk to the Best Buy together (about 10 minutes). If you'll be late you can check in with Zak at the phone number above and meet us at the Best Buy itself at 401 Park Dr Boston, MA 02215.
If you can't make it to the Best Buy, you're still more than welcome to join us for food and drinks at Cornwall's after about 8:15. It's at 654 Beacon Street, Boston, MA 02215, right at the Kenmore T Station on the B, C and D branches of the Green Line.
We're working on interesting materials to hand out as conversation starters. If you'd like to contribute graphic design skills, time for collecting materials, or just brainstorm ideas, let me know in a reply. We're also looking for volunteer photographer with their own camera.
- LibrePlanet Washington: Anti-DRM Action Event Help us protest the use of DRM and help educate the public about its dangers on May 6, from noon to 2pm at [Red Square on the University of Washington Campus](http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/4921196). We will be handing out stickers and flyers. If you have some anti-drm related gear [e.g.](http://shop.fsf.org/product/DRM_No_One_Admitted/) please wear it to the event.
This page was a featured resource in May 2014.