The goal of this page is to help you collaborate to create a translation file for Escape to Freedom that has been shaped and reviewed by more than one pair of eyes, to make sure it's top quality. This is standard practice for translations.
Check the list of languages below for yours. If it doesn't exist yet, create one by making a new link to it from this page, mimicking the syntax of the other links.
If you have a translation file and there isn't one here yet, post it following these instructions:
- upload your file to the wiki's upload feature in the toolbox section (the wheel*) of the blue menu bar
Linking to it from your language page:
- Create the language page simply by adding the link through the edit option of this page. Save and go to the page.
- Link to the file using the following syntax: (view in edit mode)
If you have created a translation file but already see one there, it's probably most efficient to combine and review so you have a 2-person vetted translation instantly. If you haven't created a translation file yet and just want to help, you can review any existing translation files and offer your feedback.
Please provide your translation in .vtt format with UTF-8 encoding. The simplest starting point is to copy the English subtitle file and replace the English text (https://static.fsf.org/nosvn/videos/escape-to-freedom/captions/escape-to-freedom_en.vtt) with your translation, preserving the format. Have a look at this site for additional information: https://dev.opera.com/articles/an-introduction-to-webvtt-and-track/
Working on the Translation
To test your translation you can use the following command in a terminal: mpv mymoviefilename.mp4 --sub-file=my-subtitles.vtt (you can download the movie files from the FSF Web site: https://u.fsf.org/escape-to-freedom
Use the language page to give feedback on the translation and for general discussion. You can also download and edit an existing translation file, then reupload the new version. Just make sure to clearly communicate what you are doing in the discussion page for your language page.
Work towards the best translation possible, but please also be respectful of the work others have already done.
The FSF is available at email@example.com to answer your questions, but please make sure you've read this page carefully before you ask. We are trying to keep our communication efficient so we can post as many high-quality translations as possible.
Finishing the Translation
Once, after a minimum of 2 people approved it, the translation is complete. You can post a link to it on your language page, with text that clearly identifies it as the final version.
Approve a translation by typing your wiki signature by typing four tildes (~) beneath the link. It's fine if the two people who signed off are those who worked on the translation, or if they are others who were simply reviewers. The point is to make sure that more than one person has looked at the final version and found no errors.
Once there is a final file, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line "Approved translation: LANGUAGE NAME".
- English -- Use this version as a model for your translation
- Español -- complete
- File:Escape-to-freedom es AR.vtt -- complete (only minor differences from Spanish)
- Chinese (zh) -- complete
- File:Escape-to-freedom pt br.vtt -- uploaded, waiting for review
- Français (fr) -- complete
- Italian (it) -- uploaded; awaiting review
- Persian/Farsi (fa) -- it is a draft and needs review
- Nederlands (nl) -- it is a draft and needs review (currently we have a volunteer with estimated completion by end of August, 2022)
- Slovenian (sl) -- translated, uploaded; it is a draft and needs review
Note: For a full list of translation status, please see the translation status page.