Right-to-Repair en en
This page is a shared resource, and we encourage others to add to it, so some of the entries here may be added by members of the community. We check this resource periodically, and know that others check it, too, but it's a wiki, so errors may be added before they're fixed. We encourage you to review licenses and information about the software you're interested in before using it, and to update this page with your findings.
What is Right to Repair
The FSF fights for your right to repair
Organizations fighting for the Right to Repair globally
- EFF's Right to Repair campaign page
- Free Geek is a group out of Portland. They repair old hardware, install open operating systems, and make it available to disadvantaged communities.
- OpenMedia is a Canadian advocacy group for digital rights. Fight For Your Right to Repair campaign page
- IFixit has collaboratively written repair guides, and is a good resource for both users and activists.
- Repair.eu; the EU focused advocacy group for Right to Repair.
- Repair.org; the leading US advocacy group for Right to Repair.
- The Restart Project; a founding member of the Right to Repair campaign in Europe.
- SecureRepairs; led by 2022 FSF Award winner Paul Roberts. On this page, you'll find updated resources and a blog on why the Right to Repair is at the core of advancement of the technology industry
- the U.S. PIRG Right to Repair campaign, led by Nathan Proctor, drives legislation at the state level
- For a society free of planned obsolescence
Why the freedom to tinker matters by Techdirt and Kyle Wiens
Videos to watch
Fight to Repair by the FSF
* Watch the video * Translation page for this video
Right to Repair animation videos:
* https://yewtu.be/watch?v=3NMfgZsB2no * https://yewtu.be/watch?v=LFNxyDjrpNE
LibrePlanet talks related to Right to Repair
* The future of the right to repair and free software by Elizabeth Chamberlain, iFixit, 2023. * It’s time to jailbreak the farm by Sick Codes, Kevin Kenney, Elizabeth Chamberlain, Paul Roberts 2023. * Repair is not a crime: An update from the front of the Right to Repair fight by Kyle Wiens, iFixit, 2022. * A dispatch from the front lines of right to repair by Paul Roberts, SecuRepairs, 2021. * Right to Repair by Kyle Wiens, iFixit, 2021 * The Right to Repair and the DMCA by Nathan Proctor, 2020 * Stewarding Technological Freedom in Agriculture by Michael Stenta, Jamie Gaehring, and Don Blair, 2020.
CNBC feature on Right to Repair.
- Louis Rossman has a YouTube channel about Right to Repair.
- Paul Roberts from SecureRepairs has a blog about the subject
- New York Times article about Right to Repair in 2020
- Kyle Wiens and Gay Gordon-Byrne speak about the Right to Repair in Spectrum 2017
- Tabitha Whiting, How we created a throwaway society, June 2019
- Why France’s New Tech ‘Repairability Index’ Is a Big Deal Feb 2021
- Farmers ask for 'right to repair' March 2021
- Ending over mending: planned obsolescence is killing the planet Mar 2017
- Right to Repair is overdue - and consumers are already leading the charge April 2021
- Without ‘right to repair,’ businesses lose time and money Aug 2021
- Apple Brazenly Stifles Right To Repair For iPhone 13 Displays By Killing Face ID Sep 2021
- John Deere–Backed Lobbying Groups Host Anti-Right to Repair Conference Oct 2021
- Apple’s New Screen Repair Trap Could Change the Repair Industry Forever Nov 2021
- Alabama farmer sues John Deere for ‘right to repair’ Jan 2022
- A Fight Over the Right to Repair Cars Turns Ugly Feb 2022
- Right to Repair Groups and Farmers Unions File FTC Complaint Against John Deere Mar 2022
- A new jailbreak for John Deere tractors rides the right to repair wave Aug 2022
- January 2023  John Deere allows some repairability
- December 2022  New York’s governor signs watered-down right-to-repair bill
- April 2022  Apple launches self repair
The latest developments per country
Create a page about Right to Repair in your country, or read about what you can do to help in your region!
This page was a featured resource in April 2023.
This page was a featured resource in February 2021.